HOW TO HOLD AN H&R CLINIC OR SUBMIT YOUR OWN MATERIALS
CARDIAC CLINIC INCLUDING BLOOD & DNA
By working with your local cardiologist, we encourage you and your club to hold complete Canine Cardiac Clinics (echocardiogram and blood draw submittal to Dr. Stern). The guide below provides instruction to hold a complete Canine Cardiac Clinic.
HOW TO SUBMIT BLOOD/DNA ON YOUR OWN
Blood is the gold standard for genetic material; the yield of DNA is sufficient for all research methods, including technologies on the horizon. Moreover, the stability and purity of the DNA is of the highest caliber, which offers many benefits. The drawback of banking blood samples is cost — drawing, shipping, storing, and extracting DNA from blood are more expensive endeavors than the alternative.
The CHIC DNA Repository has partnered with the Veterinary Genetics Lab at the University of California–Davis and the Animal Molecular Genetics Lab at the University of Missouri. UC Davis will receive and store all swab samples, and Missouri will receive and store all blood samples.
To Participate on your own you must complete the process:
- Complete the following application form and submit to the OFA. Click here to download DNA Application Form
- You will receive the blood collection kit in the mail. Click here to view instructions once you receive the kit.
HOW TO SUBMIT COMPLETE CARDIAC ON YOUR OWN
To participate on your own:
- Visit your cardiologist for each dogs echocardiogram you will receive a completed Cardiology Repository Form (ACA Form). The form cannot be downloaded as it is a triplicate form issued from the cardiologist.
- Complete the SAS Submission Form.
- Also have the cardiologist draw blood vials (purple top) for collecting 5-10cc from each dog. Each vial must be marked/labeled with dog call name, owner last name and placed in separate ziplock bags. (Ziplock Bag for blood vials and separate Ziplock Bag for envelopes (do not put envelopes with blood as blood may pop open or chilled blood may sweat onto the paperwork) The completed CHIC DNA Repository Form is the paperwork that is attached to blood.
- Use cold packs to ship OVERNIGHT blood and all forms: CARDIOLOGY Repository Form, CHIC DNA Repository Form and SAS Submission Form to DR STERN. (shipping address is on the bottom of the SAS Form.
DOWNLOAD EACH FORM BELOW BY CLICKING ON NAME: